Thursday, May 11, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #19: Basic Spiral

Before this weeks blog post I was honestly not a fan of this stitch, I even considered not talking about it at all- I found it to be floppy and it never really looked or felt like it was sturdy.  Not until I was playing around with it in effort to make something for this blog did I realize how cool this stitch could actually be. I substituted the "middle" bead in the spiral rope with two holed beads and now it is sturdy and fun! 

For this weeks blog I actually made three different ropes with different types of two holed beads. The purple one is the one I initially played with, the gold and orange one in the back is made with Infinity beads, and the long one is made with green vintage beads I got on clearance from a large online bead retailer. Not that I have any, but I am pretty sure that my vintage beads are similar to Preciosa brand "Chilli" beads.

There are a bunch of tutorials out there for the spiral rope, substituting two holed beads is not difficult, and is very intuitive if you know how to do the basic stitch. If I was planning this blog from easiest stitch to most difficult I should have covered this one in January!


How to:

Fusion Beads has a good tutorial,

Interweave has an article by Jean Campbell entitled "How to Stitch an Easy Spiral Rope Like a Pro", and

Potomac Bead Company also has a video that covers this stitch.

*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀

Coming weeks: 

May 18th: Right Angle Weave (RAW)

May 25th: More RAW

June 1st: Cubic Right Angle Weave (CRAW)



Thanks for reading & Happy Beading -Beth

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beading by Beth Team,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Beading by Beth has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 100 Bead Blogs on the web.

    http://blog.feedspot.com/bead_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 100 Bead Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

    Best,
    ANuj

    ReplyDelete