Thursday, May 4, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #18: Russian Spiral

If you Google "Russian Spiral" there are 13.5+ million results. The Russian Spiral is very versatile: the types of beads used, the colors, whether you step up or not, and the number of sides can all be changed to make a wide variety of different looking ropes with the same stitch. Give it a Google and you will see what I mean! 

 
This week I made this simple section of what I hope will eventually become a bracelet. I used 2mm Czech glass, Delicas and 15's. I ran out of the 2mm Czech glass beads and had to stop, but made enough of it that it will be quick to eventually finish! 

I tend think about this stitch the same way as I do about a Cellini spiral (blog post #10). I remember to "add beads like the ones I just exited" and to step up to start the next round- although neither of these are always true with this stitch. There are versions of the Russian Spiral that don't even have a step up! 

As for the "how to" there are so many tutorials on this stitch that I decided to list two distinctively different approaches:

Potomac Bead Company has a YouTube video that uses multiple colors and is easy to follow. It is what I consider the "traditional"* way with step ups and two different sized beads.

Gail of Beaded Jewelry Diva has a YouTube video for Russian spiral that doesn't have a step up (this is the closest to how I learned this stitch). She uses multiple colors and a straw as support in the middle while she stitches.

*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀

Coming weeks: 

May 11th: Basic spiral rope

May 18th: Right Angle Weave (RAW)

May 25th: More RAW



Thanks for reading & Happy Beading -Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment