Thursday, April 20, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #16: 3D Peyote shapes

The first time I made a 3D shape with Peyote was following the instructions in Diane Fitzgerald's book Shaped Beadwork. It is one of the few beading books that I own. I don't think I have any of the original shapes that I made from it, they all became earrings and found new homes. For this weeks blog, I made a pair of matching oval earrings, a multi colored square, and a thingy I ended up with after a little playing...three ovals connected together but not linked!

I also dug out some shaped peyote pieces that I knew I still had. The bottom is a holiday colored bracelet made from 3D circles connected together. It is a lightweight go to during the season. The stars are ornaments that I made from adapting the "Star Pendant" pattern by Smadar Grossman.  It is in Bead & Button Magazine December 2010. If you didn't know, you can find Smadar on her Blog and at Smadars Treasure on Etsy, where she has over 65 beading tutorials.

Here is a close up of the shaped object that I ended up with. It is made from three ovals, one shoved inside the other and the third constructed over and through the other two. I didn't make or follow a pattern for it, I was playing around and ended up with a fun little beaded bauble. 
After a little Googling it looks like what I made is called Borromean rings and Gwen Fisher of Bead Infinitum has a tutorial and kits on how to make this shape with Cubic Right Angle Weave. I am sure her instructions are far better than my "one shoved inside the other and the third constructed over and through the other two."

The How to:

Kelly Dale is the owner of the bead store Off The Beaded Path and the Etsy shop of the same name. She is also a YouTube instructor who has great videos on how to make a bunch of different 3D Peyote shapes including: 3D Pointed Ovals , 3D Circles3D Triangles3D Peyote Squares3D Hexagon3D Elongated Hexagon and she has a video on a 3D Shape Necklace that uses all the shapes in her videos!

*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀

Coming weeks: 

April 27th: More Brick stitching

May 4th: Russian Spiral

May 11th: Basic spiral rope



Thanks for reading & Happy Beading -Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment