Thursday, March 2, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #9: Flat Herringbone Part II

Three weeks ago I blogged about Ladder stitch and started a little herringbone piece so that I wouldn't explain the start in two different blogs. This post is Herringbone part II. This week I started a little Herringbone bracelet which I forgot to take pictures of as I went, and ran out of thread and steam to get finished but I still took a picture of what I ended up with to show the fun that this stitch can be. The possibilities are endless! I made this bracelet section with size 8's & 4mm glass pearls.


When searching for a good FREE tutorial for this post I came across a couple of sites that are good for learning about this stitch:
 Ruby's Beadwork has a good amount of information on herringbone, and some fun free patterns!  Also the Inspirational Beading Blog has good pictures of adding the "bridge" or "the beads in between" as I think of them.

The first time I was introduced to Herringbone stitch, it was referred to as Ndebele-Herringbone stitch, and I was told it was named after the Ndebele people from Africa who invented it. (I Googled briefly to try to confirm this, but didn't find much convincing information- if you read this blog and know a source for this info, please let me know! I would love to know more about the history!) I was taught it was pronounced "in the belly"- but to call it Herringbone around "modern" beaders because that is what most call it. I was so confused, today I call it Herringbone, but only because a lot of people have never heard the other name, and mostly because it is weird to say "in the belly the corners" when describing how to add two beads at at a time. :) FYI If you are interested in Googling or searching on Pinterest for "Herringbone" inspirations, don't forget to also try "Ndebele" 

One of my favorite bracelets made with a fun variation of Herringbone stitch is in Bead & Button Magazine from February 2009  (the link takes you to where the magazine is for sale on Amazon.) This issue has 8 bracelets in it, including the Cabled Bracelet by Rae Arlene Reller. Here is my version of her design that I made almost 9 years ago!

I could go on and on about Herringbone and all the possible variations, but I will save that for another day -specifically in two weeks when I cover tubular Herringbone, and another day in April when I will blog again. Flat Herringbone Part III (in April) will include more flat variations, including a fun time with 2 holed beads! :)

*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet πŸ˜€


Coming weeks: 

March 9th: Totally tubular! Peyote & Cellini

March 16th: More tubes! Herringbone -twisted and not

March 23rd: More tubes! Chenille stitch



Thanks for reading & Happy Beading -Beth

2 comments:

  1. Some info on Ndebele bead art
    http://www.thebeadsite.com/ub-nbart.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Onye! What great info! I don't know why I couldn't find this when I Googled. πŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–

    ReplyDelete