Thursday, February 9, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #6: Ladder stitch

2017 Thursday Bead Post #6: Ladder stitch & some Herringbone



I have never thought much about Ladder stitch other than it is what you do to start Herringbone or Brick Stitch. I googled in hopes of finding a project or an inspiration for something fantastic to do with Ladder stitch...
Apparently other than making a wrap bracelet (which I don't really enjoy because it isn't really beadweaving) there is very little about Ladder other than my thoughts that it is an essential stitch to know as the foundation for other stitches.

In my usual style I took pictures as I started this week's blog:
To do ladder stitch you pick up beads (or sets of beads) and stitch them together so that they lay side to side. It is pretty easy to understand, and if you keep tight tension easy to do!
    

   

While I was out Googling, I found a few videos about Ladder stitch that explain it better than I do:
  • Jewelry Making Professor on YouTube  has a video on how to do Ladder stitch. Included in the video was a way to do Ladder that I had never seen until I researched this blog post! I learned something new about beading!!! (About 4 minutes in is where the alternate "quick" way to do Ladder is shown)
  • Jill Wiseman has a less than 5 minute video  showing how to do Ladder stitch. It is very clear, and if you don't know about Jill, give her a Google she is a good beading teacher.
Most of the time when I am doing Ladder stitch it is because I am starting a Flat Herringbone stitch.  For this weeks blog I started a small Herringbone piece that starts with a three bead wide Ladder. I will be coming back to Herringbone in March, but here is a start!
Starting from the Ladder stitch pick up two beads at a time and weaving up and down, working across the row, adding two beads at a time. I only pass up and down through the top beads of my foundation row.
  

   
  
The tricky part about Herringbone is the turnaround at the edge. I usually step over and up to get to the next row- although there are other options...
  

    

  
This is the piece after four Herringbone rows.

Jill Wiseman has a video about Flat Herringbone. It is the clearest explanation of the basic stitch that I came across when searching. I found her to be entertaining and funny when explaining how to make the turn at the edges. 

Bead honesty for this week: I was also taught how to do Herringbone stitch with the thread showing like Jill talks about in her video, and I am guilty of teaching others to do it that way too. (insert shame emoji 😉)

*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀

Coming weeks: 

February 16th: Brick stitch

February 23rd: Peyote triangles

March 2: Flat Herringbone Part II

Thanks for reading & Happy Beading -Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment