Thursday, January 26, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #4: More Peyote stitch

More Peyote stitch: Bead it Forward


If you didn't already know, every year there are beaders that make squares for the Bead-it-Forward project. The squares are collected and stitched together into quilts to raise money for breast cancer research. The goal?!:
 "the goal is always the same—to rally our gifts as beaders to benefit breast cancer research, treatment, and ultimately a cure." Click here to read more about the history of the Bead-it-Forward project.

In past years my friend Stephany and I have participated by sending squares and making patterns. Here is my bead honesty for this week: Stephany has made a bunch more squares and patterns than I have- she is my inspiration for this blog post! Stephany has blogged about her past participation if you want to see some great squares from previous years.

This year's theme is "Fantasy: Dreaming of a cure" There are some free patterns, and blank graph paper available on the Bead-it-Forward page if you feel like making a pattern or square :). My friend Stephany is the designer of a bunch of this years patterns! :)

When I sat down to make my squares, I actually found this theme to be pretty hard to come up with patterns for. I had several ideas that when I drew them out didn't really translate well into a small beaded square.

 As I do when I am stuck and frustrated- I asked my husband! First thing he said was elves! What a genius! I thought immediately of doing elf feet! -I actually did two different versions because I feel like I should send more than one square!

     

There are some things to know before making squares for the Bead-it-Forward project. The guidelines section of their web page has all the information you need and the entry form you have to print and send in!

This year the squares have to arrive by March 1st, 2017!

Every square has to be 1.5 x 1.5 inches of beadwork stitched to the center of a 2x2 in piece of backing. They suggest Lacy's Stiff Stuff as backing, but I use Pellon Peltex #70 stabilizer. It is what I use for bead embroidery and it is easy to find in craft and fabric stores.

I am going to try to make a few more squares before the deadline, but we will see what life has to say about that!

Bead it Forward has an Etsy shop where quilts are for sale if you would like to see (or buy for charity) quilts with previous themes that are still for sale.

*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀

Coming weeks: 

February 2nd: Peyote stitch with multiple sizes of beads!


February 9th: Ladder stitch & Herringbone.


February 16th: Brick stitch



Thanks for reading & Happy Beading! -Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment